PortsmouthFC3.jpg
 

history

Portsmouth Football Club were founded in 1898 and the club have always played at Fratton Park.

The oldest stand still in use is the South Stand, built in the 1920s and designed by Archibald Leitch. It houses the dressing rooms, boardroom and offices and is the heartbeat of the stadium.

Pompey were promoted to the top flight for the first time in 1927 and reached two FA Cup finals before winning the trophy with a 4-1 victory over Wolves in 1939.

In the 1930s the stadium was further developed with the building of the north stand, which is still in use.

Pompey enjoyed a golden post-war era, winning division one (now the Premier League) in 1949 and 1950, one of only five clubs to win the trophy in back-to-back seasons since the war.

The club went into decline and dropped into division four (now League Two) but fought back, returning to the top flight in 1987.

In 1997 the Fratton end, the home of Pompey’s noisiest section of fans, was rebuilt and a decade later a roof was put on the smaller Milton end for the first time.

By then the Blues were back in the Premier League – where they enjoyed a seven-year stay – and, in 2008, won the FA Cup with a 1-0 win over Cardiff at Wembley.

Pompey reached their fifth FA Cup final in 2010, losing 1-0 to Chelsea, and were relegated to the Championship in the same season, as a crippling financial crisis took hold.

In 2012 the Blues were relegated to League One, dropping out of the top two divisions for the first time since 1983, and fell into the bottom tier a year later.

In May 2017, under fan ownership, Pompey started on the journey back up the leagues by securing the League Two title.

That saw Pompey become one of only five sides to win all four of the fully-professional divisions in English football.

Then, in August 2017, the Club was acquired by Tornante. We have a strong desire to continue the Club’s progress.

www.portsmouthfc.co.uk